At Pro Money Talk we always try to bring you the most influential and knowledgeable guests on each topic. In some cases those guests are not only famous in their industry, but they are known more widely. The topic we chose for this show was the flat tax, and we are very happy to announce that our interviewee for the show is Steve Forbes.
Steve is the editor-in-chief of Forbes magazine and CEO of Forbes Inc. You may remember that he ran in the presidential primaries in 1996 and 2000 on a platform that included the introduction of a flat rate income tax.
In addition to the flat tax, Steve is a strong supporter of free market thinking and restrained government spending. In this interview we talked to Steve about:
- His 17% flat income tax proposal.
- How low income Americans would pay no income tax.
- Avoiding estate, capital gains, and AMT taxes.
- Competing for jobs and industry in a global economy.
- The paradox of how a flat tax can lower individual income tax but raise tax revenues
- Giving taxpayers a choice between tax systems to avoid fear of loss.
We wrap up the discussion with a quick take on the recently deceased Nobel laureate Milton Friedman.
For more information on Steve Forbes, the flat tax, and Steve’s book, Flat Tax Revolution, please see the links below.